Saturday 18 May 2013

SO HAPPY TOGETHER: COORDINATES

I would like to discuss the notion of the two piece - an idea championed by Topshop this season. The concept is a matching two piece combo which can consist of top and skirt/shorts/trousers etc. The suit is an example of a matching two piece, but it lacks the novelty value of the new two piece and therefore won't be included.

When I first saw this trend for coordinating I felt shocked - it was perverse. It went against everything fashion subculture stood for. You've planned your outfit to match? It's so prim, conservative, twee. How awful!  The two piece was to be found in charity shops, hung on a double hanger. I would always want one part of the two piece, such as the jacket that went with the skirt, but no way did I want that awful skirt! But, they would never sell me only one half, so I would either have to have both or leave both. They only play in a team.

It took me a matter of days to creep in to this trend and look at it with objective eyes. It's actually deeply rebellious and subversive. I've often given the advice ''never match your shoes with your bag'' and similarly ''don't coordinate your outfit, it looks too polished and considered''. But what could be more unconsidered than buying an already constructed outfit? Scrap what I thought before...from here on in, I'll be matched. The best coords are those with 1950's/60's inspired abstract or graphic prints. The shapes that work are the ones that subscribe to the 'show your legs and cover your top or cover your legs and show your top' rule. 

All images: Topshop
Above I have collected my favourite two-pieces from Topshop's current range. They're beautiful and chic. The value for money is another obvious bonus. You can get two pieces for as cheap as one, and let's face it, they don't always have to be worn together. If you're having an 'off' day and you're feeling a bit too sleepy to challenge opinions, the seperate pieces will still work individually. It would be tempting to trick the outfits in to thinking you'll always wear them together, before you buy them - and then seperate them as soon as you get home, but I think this would be a big mistake.

In your less fashionable circle of acquaintances you may be seen as some kind of loser for wearing matching clothes. But this is the beauty and joy of coords! Two pieces are no longer only to be found inside granny shops in strange seaside towns, and soon your friends will realise. So, to continue a well loved and may I also say, practical, outfit solution, I will be seeking out a matching shirt and skirt combo in all charity shops I come across. Hello, sweet subversion. 


Back to the start of the two piece:

80's Orange Aztec Print 2 Piece - babushakas clothing at Asos Marketplace  
60's Lilac/Purple Wedding 2 Piece - LizziesVintageFinds at Etsy
70's Crop Top/Trouser 2 Piece - madam popoff vintage at Asos Marketplace
80's Rosey Floral 2 Piece - VINTAGE STYLE ME at Asos Marketplace
70's Black/Red Flora and Fruit 2 Piece - LizziesVintageFinds at Etsy
90's Floral 2 Piece - ArsenicKitty at Etsy
90's Leopard Print Morgan 2 Piece - THERAVENSWRITINGDESK at Etsy
Polka Dot 2 Piece - House Of Jam at Etsy
60's Watercolour Floral 2 Piece - Sandra at Etsy

No comments:

Post a Comment