Wednesday 3 June 2015

MY EVERYDAY MAKEUP KIT inc Lush, Topshop, Sleek & The Body Shop

I have a fair amount of makeup but I don't A) store it nicely or B) look after it correctly. I'm not proud of this - it's just, I think, that makeup is by nature messy. Coloured liquids, glosses, powders all spilling out and getting trashed. I wish I had a beautifully arranged area for makeup with draws and units or sections, just like Zoella the YouTube star. But I keep my makeup like I keep art equipment, all crammed in to one box with no order, just waiting for the happy day when I decide to try a different shade of eyeshadow (I get stuck on one product which I keep in my everyday beauty bag, and call me lazy, but it takes me months to change the contents, despite a multitude of choices only feet away in a draw).

That's not to say I don't have some great makeup which I could be using in some kind of display in my bedroom (?) or featuring in countless 'favourite' YouTube videos. It's the kind of makeup that I love and have a lot to say about, it's makeup that's so pretty it deserves some attention. But, no, it is destined to remain in the dark top draw.

However, since I came back from travelling just over a month ago, I quickly began experimenting with makeup again. This may have been down to my makeup collection  being absent from my life for months, and therefore it was a novelty having all this 'new' makeup to try when I returned. It could also be down to the fact I've come back with a bit of a tan and so different products/colours suit me now. A few days in to coming back, I'd found a range of products which I was very happy with - a quick, easy and effective morning makeup routine using a miminal amount of products, but good quality ones that I love. Here it is...


My daily face, laid out on a dirty rug...

1) The Body Shop Brow Definer in 03 Dark Brown: I like this guy. It's a soft kohl pencil so it goes on nicely and the shade doesn't contain any red tones so it's a more natural colour. Nowadays I get my brows tinted at a salon otherwise they'd be two barely there lines, but this pencil is great when I want extra definition, or the brows are due a tint

2) Topshop Kohl Pencil in Black: What do you think about Topshop makeup? I like it, a lot. This one is a great eyeliner pencil with a lovely soft formula that goes on easily, great for creating a flick, which then stays put

3) MAC Pearlglide Intense Eye Liner in Black Swan: I found this in my makeup box after I came back from travelling. Thanks Becky, I think? I use this alongside the Topshop pencil on goth days, it works like a thick smudgey colour, perfect for filling in the outer corner of the eye. I then use the Topshop pencil to create a small flick. I love this eyeliner

4) CARGO OneBase Concealer and Foundation in 02: A makeup artist friend gave me this, it gives great coverage, suiting my more tanned complexion to a T right now. I use another coverage product alongside this so I wouldn't say it's an all in one product, but it's great under the eyes and on blemishes as a light but effective liquid concealer

5) L'OREAL The Minerals True Match Mineral Powder Foundation: I'm crazy about this! I took one travelling and used it for the duration (it contains SPF too don't you know). The powder offers a light foundation like coverage which really does disguise flaws. I used this on its own whilst away, but now I sweep a tiny bit over the Cargo concealer and that's my base (almost) done. The one criticism is, if you have oily skin like I do, it doesn't mattify the skin, so I now sweep a tiny bit of translucent powder over the top to finish

6) N07 Stay Perfect Eyeshadow in Starry Lights: A great cheap (ish) eyeshadow that has just the right amount of shimmer, opens up your eyes and makes a fantastic base for other shadows or eyeliner, my go to for a basic fuss free day face

7) Maybelline Great Lash Mascara in Blackest Black: A good standard. It's reasonably cheap, doesn't gloop and kinda just does the job. Excuse my lack of enthusiasm - I'll come clean. Since taking this photo of my makeup bag, I've started using Benefit's Roller Lash Mascara - a free sample I got from a magazine, and it's INCREDIBLE. I'm not normally one to be bothered about mascaras as I could never notice a significant difference between one and another, but the Benefit one is totally different and amazing, I will blog about it soon

8) CARGO Cheek Activator: A subtle shimmery liquid blush/highlighter, again given to me by my makeup artist friend. I dab a little along my cheek bone after applying foundation and powder, and it gives a slight glow, not overally noticeable, but nice if you just want a little glimmer or if used as a highlighter alongside a blusher or bronzer

9) Lush Eyeliner in Control: I'm a BIG fan of Lush's makeup range. I love the concept of colours to suit moods, and colour therapy applied to makeup. Makeup is transformative after all, therefore the psychology of colour fits nicely with it. This liquid eyeliner is a beautiful mermaid sea blue, and swept over your eyelid it looks fantastic. I particularly love this colour right now because my hair is a peachy pink, and the two colours just work together. Also, the name, 'Control' appeals too. Yep, I think I'd like some more control in my life at the mo

10) Sleek Lipstick in Mystic: I LOVE LOVE LOVE this lipstick. It's one of my favourites of all time! It's a beatiful purpley pink - not my normal lip colour palette of choice,  but it also has quite a dark, deep rich plum tone to it which makes it a goth 90s dream. The formula is matte and it stays on for ages. People got really obsessed with it for a while. There was a time not so long ago when this lipstick had sold out in all Boots and Superdrugs. I tried to buy it online and the only one I could find was selling for £65 on Amazon! This baby normally only retails for £5

11) The Body Shop Mango Lip Butter: Nice, standard lip balm which does the job. Try their Shea lip butter instead, it smells like toffee popcorn. I kind of like the mango one but it's a but sickly sweet

12) The Body Shop Eyeliner Pencil in White: I worked at The Body Shop for a while. My old boss who is a makeup extraordinaire taught me how to make my eyes look bigger by lining the lower water line with white. It really does work

There you have it. I love writing about makeup, I should do it more

No comments:

Post a Comment